Monday, July 22, 2013

Through the Years: Super Smash Bros.

  Well, hello to anyone who comes across this blog. Welcome to where I, Dany, and my Co-Owner will be uploading reviews and the latest game information.

  Today's post will be about Super Smash Bros. We'll be taking a look at the differences of the N64 version and the newest version coming out in 2014. I don't know about you, but I personally love taking a look in the past and seeing how much development went into games. But anyways, lets get started with the game that started it all:

Now, lets take a look at some of the main characters usually shown first in the opening videos:

  Well aren't they nice and boxy? But hey, this was pretty amazing back then. Even with the poor graphics Nintendo made these guys come to life nicely. Also, the speed in this game was significantly slower than the ones after. I don't know if you guys experienced this, but my game slightly glitched when someone went flying off the screen.



  Whoo, look at that improvement! The characters have become slightly more round and realistic, but they still have cartoonish looks. Even the logo had some adjustments made. The speed in this game is incredibly fast. I stopped playing Brawl for a bit to mess around on this game and I could barely stop myself from falling off the edge. This game introduced the side scrolling during the Classic Mode. Also, the opening movie for this game had me thinking, "Wait, we're playing as trophies?!" I thought that was such an amazing and creative idea!


  And the realism begins. Especially on Link, but poor Kirby. The changes are there, yet subtle. Most of their cartoonish features seen in the last game are gone. This game has "normal" speed. It's not too fast and not too slow. This game took a leap and made an actual story so that you could unlock all the characters called The Subspace Emissary. I think it made the game a little more entertaining, yet a little long to unlock all the characters (especially if you're a huge procrastinator like me).



  When I first saw the characters in this game I was in complete awe. The design is absolutely amazing and life-like. Little is known about the game so far, but I'll get into detail about this game in another post. 

Lets look at the stages improvement: 




  This stage, Battlefield, has been shown some love throughout the years. The design is a lot more detailed than I ever thought it would be considering the type of game this is. 

Even though there is a lot of improvement in the game, some things stay the same such as one of my favorite reoccurring bosses: 


  Master Hand and Crazy Hand. Unfortunately, neither were shown in the N64 version. Master Hand and his counterpart first showed up in the GameCube version, as most of you know. In Melee, you fight Master Hand as a normal boss at the end of the Classic Mode, but if you defeat him in just enough time you face his crazy partner. In Brawl, Master Hand shows in the Subspace Emissary being controlled by the final boss (wont say anymore because of a huge spoiler alert). I forget where Crazy Hand is, but I believe he's in the Boss Mode. Out of the two, Crazy Hand is my favorite. He's less composed and more destructive and wild.


  That concludes today's post. I hope it wasn't too long and was somewhat entertaining.
  How do you guys feel about the Super Smash Bros. series?   - Dany

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pictures, Images and Photos